2023 Nominating Form Bobby McGee Distinguished Service Award
The Board of Directors recognizes that it has been several years since the “Bobby McGee Distinguished Service Award” has been awarded. It is our goal to give this award annually going forward as long as there are nominees that are qualified. If you did not know Bobby McGee the list below can provide a small glimpse of the man and Superintendent that he was. Mr. McGee’s career profile depicts a man of strong character, leadership, and dedication to the profession of golf course superintendent. The following is a short list of his achievements and career highlights:
40 plus years in the golf course business that has produced many assistants who have gone on to become successful superintendents.
Has served as President and more than 10 years on the GCSA of AR Board of Directors.
Host to many of our chapter’s meetings, golf outings and educational seminars.
One of the founders of the Arkansas Turfgrass Association and has served over 15 years on the Board of Directors.
Longtime member of USGA’s Greens Section Committee (1983 to present.)
Host superintendent for the US Open held at Atlantic Athletic Club in 1976. Even today that may be the only Open ever played in the south during summer months.
Former speaker at GCSAA’s national conference and tradeshow.
Former speaker at many ATA conferences.
Designed many golf courses and renovation projects.
Has worked with nationally recognized architects such as Tom Clark, George and Tom Fazio, Joe Frazier and Robert Trent Jones Sr.
Has participated in numerous research efforts for the improvement of courses.
But perhaps the best example of Mr. McGee’s dedication is found in the number of superintendents he has mentored and even more superintendents to whom he has listened and generously offered his advice and time. His contributions to the profession cannot be measured by the number of awards or citations he has received but by the number of superintendents who can call him their friend.
To be accepted for the Distinguished Service Award, a nominee must meet the following qualifications:
1. Must have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the golf course superintendent’s profession. The contribution must be significant in both substance and duration.
2. The outstanding contribution may be, or have been, Regional or National in nature. This contribution must be held in the highest regard and reflect credit upon our profession.
3. Current members of the GCSA of Arkansas Board of Directors and their immediate families are ineligible to receive the Distinguished Service Award.
4. The Board of Directors of GCSA of Arkansas shall be the sole judge of the nominee’s qualifications to receive the award. The procedure to be used by the Board for determining DSA recipients is that a two-thirds vote is required of the directors present to award the DSA to any nominee.
5. This award will not necessarily be awarded every year.
If you would like to nominate someone for this honor, please complete the following information and mail to: GCSA of Arkansas, " Distinguished Service Award", PO Box 22642 Hot Springs, AR 71903 or fill out the form on the website www.gcsaofarkansas.org DEADLINE DATE: August 15, 2023